Sacred Valley Excursion
Dates: July 21st-29th 2020
Length: 8 nights
Hosts: Kirsten Dickerson, co-founder of The Fernweh Studio.
- 4 nights in Ollantaytambo at the charming El Albergue, known for its amazing food sourced form the farm connected to the hotel. The hotel also has its own distillery and coffee roasters on the property.
- 2 nights will be spent at the charming Nunu Boutique Hotel in Lamay, full of personality and beautiful gardens near Pisac.
- 2 nights in the heart of historic Cusco at beautiful Antiqua Casona San Blas
Number of spots: 9 (shared double occupancy). The minimum age for participation is 14 years if accompanied by an adult/parent.
Cost: $3400 p/p (details below)
The Fernweh Studio promotes responsible tourism. The heart of this trip it to learn and experience the people, land, history, and culture of the Sacred Valley region of Peru. We have a special focus on celebrating women artisans, exploring ancient ruins and the surrounding landscape, and diving into the local culinary scene. Peru is a country with both wealth and poverty, and you will be exposed to both ends of the spectrum through our journey. We travel as learners, we must have flexibility, and we go a desire to give back and celebrate the beauty of Peru together.We love curious, compassionate, and fun-loving travelers!
Day 1: Arrival to the Sacred Valley
- You will coordinate an overnight flight that arrives into Lima in the early morning and then transfers that same morning to Cusco
- From Cusco we will head to Ollantaytambo in the Sacred Valley, our base for the majority of the trip.
- We will do a cultural tour on our way to the hotel so you can begin to experience the beauty, food, and people of the Sacred Valley the start.
- Dinner at the hotel after check-in.
Day 2: Ollantaytambo Day
- Morning breakfast at the hotel.
- Take a tour of the organic farm connected on the hotel property. Experience the traditional Pachamanca Lunch - an Andean culinary experience.
- In the afternoon we’ll tour the local town (shops, square, historic ruins) and take a class at the chocolate factory.
- Dinner in town at Chuncho.
Day 3: Machu Picchu
- We will take an early morning train to Machu Picchu after breakfast.
- We will have a trusted guide with us the whole day so that we can maximize our experience of this incredible place.
- Our hotel will pack us a delicious picnic lunch for the train. We will return by the late afternoon.
- Dinner at the hotel.
Day 4: Andean Artisans
- We will go into the Andes Mountains to visit a traditional weaving community.
- We will be hosted by Awamaki who organizes sustainable tourism experiences that empower the locals.
- We will learn about weaving and natural dying.
- We will also be hosted for a meal in one of the artisan home.
- Dinner at the hotel.
Day 5: NUNU Hotel in Lamay
- After breakfast we head out to Nunu Boutique Hotel.
- We’ll stop at some local spots in the sacred valley on the way, including lunch.
- Enjoy a relaxing afternoon in the beautiful gardens at the hotel. Optional hike.
- All food grown and sourced on the hotel grounds nestled between the surrounding hills.
- Dinner at the hotel
Day 6: Pisac Artisan Market
- Today we go to visit Pisac, know for its famed artisan Sunday handicraft market.
- Lunch in Pisac and afternoon tour of Pisac ruins.
- Dinner at the hotel.
Day 7: Cusco and Cooking Class
- Breakfast at hotel and departure for Cusco.
- Check into Antigua Casona in the heart of the old town
- Walking tour and lunch in historic Cusco.
- Afternoon cooking class and dinner at Rooftop Kitchen.
Day 8: Horseback Riding
- After breakfast, we head out for a day trip horseback riding to visit Inca sites and enjoy the surrounding landscape. Optional tour to Rainbow Mountain.
- Back at hotel to freshen up and rest.
- Dinner at Cicciolina in a historic mansion.
Day 9: Free day to shop and explore
- Breakfast at hotel.
- Morning free to explore Cusco historical sites and markets.
- Lunch at Organika.
- Head to airport in late afternoon to start the journey home.
- Depart late from Cusco and arrive back to US the following day.
- Deposit of $1700 due with registration.
- Remaining $1700 due on or before April 1, 2020.
- $100 discount for payment received in full at registration.
- Cost covers all meals, accommodations, taxes, in-country transportation, and all excursions/events described in the itinerary.
- Cost also includes a special donation to our non-profit partners.
- Cost does not include airfare, travel insurance (required), alcohol, or personal expenses.
- The Fernweh Studio will help coordinate flights and travel insurance through a trusted agent unless otherwise discussed.
- There are 9 spots maximum available for this excursion.
- Your spot is confirmed once your applicatioin is approved and deposit is received. Bookings are first come, first served.
- A detailed itinerary and preperation details will be provided once your registration is complete.
- Payment can be made via check or Venmo (@Fernweh-Studio)
Please note this is a sample itinerary and final plans will be made after registration is closed and payments are received. You will be notified if there are any updates or changes.
Please only register when you are ready to book your trip. If you have questions or need additional information before registering, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org