Artisans + Conservation
Dates: June 3rd-12th
Length: 9 nights
Host: Kirsten Dickerson, co-founder of The Fernweh Studio.
- Karen Gables Hotel in beautiful Karen suburb of Nairobi (3 nights)
- Ol Donyo Lodge on a private animal preserve owned and protected by the local Maasai in the Chuluyu Hills (4 nights)
- Ololo Safari Lodge in the Nairobi Nation Game Park (2 nights).
Number of spots: There are 9 spots on this excursion (shared double occupancy). The minimum age for participation is 14 years if accompanied by an adult/parent.
Cost: $5400 p/p (details below)
The Fernweh Studio promotes responsible tourism. The heart of this trip it to learn and experience the people, land, history, and culture of Kenya. We have a special focus on celebrating artisans, supporting non-profits, and engaging with various social business efforts that empower people and conserve the land. Kenya is a diverse country with both poverty and wealth. You will be exposed to both ends of the spectrum through our experiences, and your participation on the trip will be making a positive contribution in many ways. We travel as learners, we must have flexibility, and we go with a desire to give back and celebrate the beauty of Kenya together.
- Evening arrival and airport transfer to Karen Gables Hotel in Nairobi.
- Fireside welcome and late light dinner at hotel.
- Breakfast at hotel.
- Morning tour of Karen Blixen Museum/Home (Author of OUT OF AFRICA)
- Lunch at Charming Boho Eatery.
- Afternoon boutique shopping in Karen at artisan based stores. Dinner at Talisman.
- Mid Morning with talented jewelry artisans from the Kibera slum.
- Learn about the impact of fair trade, and practice making brass jewelry with an artisan and take home your design.
- Afternoon British Tea at Giraffe Manor. Enjoy a traditional tea while interacting with the amazing Rothschild giraffes!
- Dinner at Karen Gables.
- Morning visit to Kibera to visit sponsored children and co-host the Saturday children’s program.
- These children are orphaned or considered at-risk. This program provides the healthiest meal they receive all week, games, songs, Bible lesson, and lots of love. This is a 15 year nonprofit relationship of Kirsten’s, so we have been invited to participate in their weekly program. If you have sponsored a child, then you will likely be able to spend time with your child during this morning program. Get ready for lots of fun and singing!
- Transfer to Ololo Lodge for lunch and check in. Evening game drive and visit to David Sheldrick Wildlife Sanctuary to visit your sponsored orphan elephant.
- Candlelit dinner on the veranda. All food is sourced from the organic garden.
- Early morning game drive and sunrise breakfast.
- Dedicated time for journaling and pondering back at the lodge.
- Afternoon tour of organic gardens and Kitengala Glass Blowers.
- Evening game drive and candlelit dinner. Group discussion fair trade and social business.
- After breakfast, head out for a 4 day safari in the Chiluyu Hills, the green hills of Africa loved by Hemingway.
- Fly from Nairobi to Ol Donyo Lodge in Tsavo, known for its excellent work in conservation and support of the local Maasai.
- Daily game drives to see amazing African animals
- Horseback riding on the savannah (all levels),
- Maasai village visit,
- private pool with each room,
- walking safaris,
- bush breakfast,
- conservation experiences,
- locally sourced meals and knowledgeable host and guides.
- Designated times will be provided for daily reflection, intentional journaling, and guided discussions during evening meals
- Fly back from the Chiluyu Hills to Nairobi.
- Morning with our non-profit partner Homecare Fellowship--dedicated to empowering at-risk women from Kibera through micro-loans and friendship.
- Afternoon and evening at The Alchemist: Nairobi’s creative event space, filled with a community of entrepreneurs in art, food, drinks, fashion, and music.
- Evening flight home.
- Deposit of $2700 due with registration.
- Remaining $2700 due on or before February 1, 2020.
- $100 discount for payment received in full at registration.
- *Cost covers all meals, accommodations, taxes, in-country ground transportation, in-country flight, and all excursions/events described on the itinerary.
- Cost also includes a special donation to our non-profit partner that supports and empowers women and children in the Kibera slum community.
- Cost does not include airfare, travel insurance (required), visa on arrival, alcohol (beyond what is included at Lodges), or personal expenses.
- The Fernweh Studio will help coordinate flights and travel insurance through a trusted agent unless otherwise discussed.
- There are 9 spots maximum available for this excursion.
- Your spot is confirmed once your applicatioin is approved and deposit is received. Bookings are first come, first served.
- A detailed itinerary and preperation details will be provided once your registration is complete.
- Payment can be made via check or Venmo (@Fernweh-Studio)
Please note this is a sample itinerary and final plans will be made after registration is closed and payments are received. You will be notified if there are any updates or changes.
Please only register when you are ready to book your trip. If you have questions or need additional information before registering, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org