Location: Marrakesh, Morocco
Dates: April 20th-29th
Length: 9 nights
Host: Kirsten Dickerson (founder of The Fernweh Studio)
- 4 nights in designer riad in the heart of the old Medina - Riad Dar-K
- 2 nights at the Beldi Country Club outside Marrakesh
- 3 nights in Eco-Kasbah in Altas Mtns - Kasbah Bab Ourika
Number of spots: 9 max (shared double occupancy)
Cost: $3750 per person (details below)
Fernweh Studio promotes responsible tourism, and you are invited to have a meaningful, inspirational tour of Marrakesh that gives you an insider experience with the people and culture. Morocco is a diverse country with both poverty and wealth. You will be exposed to both ends of the spectrum through our experiences. This trip has a special focus on artisans and non-profits that empower women in Morocco. We travel as learners, we must have flexibility, and we go a desire to give back and celebrate the beauty of Morocco together. We love curious, compassionate, and fun-loving travelers!
If you are a buyer or designer, this is an excellent opportunity to build partnerships or source goods for your company. Our co-host has years of collaborating with artisans and designers and will be giving you insider connections through his network.
- Shop the amazing souks of the old Medina
- Visit artisans from multiple areas of expertise for sourcing, buying and/or developing designer collaborations, such as: hand-weaving, hand-embroidery, rugs, leather, baskets, pottery, and glass
- Spend time learning from two amazing non-profits that are focused on empowering youth in Morocco, namely girls.
- Dine in both traditional and modern restaurants that highlight the culinary taste of Morocco
- Enjoy a day at a traditional Moroccan Hammam
- Stay in some of the most beautiful boutique hotels in Marrakesh that highlight different takes on Moroccan design
- Relax in the desert with a special dinner, camel ride and star gazing
- Be inspired through various museums and historic sites that highlight the incredible architecture and designs that make Morocco so magical
- Visit a fair trade weaving community and learn to weave with the artisans
- Visit local designer boutiques and wholesale showrooms that are collaborating with artisans to create unique designs
- Hike in the Ourika Valley and enjoy a picnic on top of one of the mountains
- Learn about the amazing Berber culture and spend time with Berber artisans
April 20-24: Marrakesh Artisan Visits and Cultural Insider Tours
- Begin exploring the labyrinth of souks and markets around riad, beautiful Riad Dar-K in the heard of the medina.
- Visit to the historic Medersa Ben Youssef (known for its stunning tile work) near our riad.
- Dine at some of Kirsten’s favorite restaurants in Marrakesh: Nomad, Le Jardin, Plus 61, Limon
- Enjoy historic gardens such as the newly opened Le Jardin Secret, inspired by Koranic verse and an excellent example of Islamic art and gardens and the Palais El- Baddi, impressive ruins with large water reservoir, who host the last Dior defile
- With a local guide, we will visit local museums to learn about the history and culture, such as: La Maison de la Photographie, Musée Dar si Saïd, Zaouia de Sidi Bel Abbès
- Afternoon/evening journey to La Pause in the Agafay Desert on the outskirts of Marrakesh: refreshing drinks, camel ride, candle dinner under the stars
- Focused Day visiting Artisans in the Medina with Frederic, our local expert on sourcing and Moroccan design. Morning visits to rug dealers, local leather craftsman, and basket weavers in the medina with Frederic. Learn about the different Moroccan rugs (new and vintage) and have opportunity to source, design, and buy various items in these categories.
- After a full day in the bazaar, we’ll need afternoon drink at famous La Mamounia via carriage ride!
- Focused Day visiting artisans in Tamesloht community with Frederic: visit a variety of groups where you can learn about the traditional crafts, how supporting artisans makes a difference, and how you can be involved as a buyer/designer. Opportunities to buy on the spot are possible as well as longer term partnerships and design collaborations. Your time will include some of these experiences:
- Visit the artisan weavers & the great showroom,
- Visit the embroidery artisans with a opportunity to practice with the women
- Lunch at Centre Fiers&Forts (non-profit that empowers and shelters at-risk youth, interaction with the kids.
- Private visit to the amazing zaouia of Tamesloth
- Visit of traditional large pottery/terracotta workshops of Tamesloht
- Early evening concert of traditional Moroccan music at the 16th century Douiria Museum Mousassine Marrakech.
April 24-26: Modern Moroccan Design, Hammam, and Project Soar
- Early morning visit to famed Majorelle Gardens, Berber Museum, and Yves St. Laurent Museum.
- Lunch and shopping afternoon shopping in Gueliz district (local designers and artists that offer a modern take on Moroccan design)
- Stay at the luxurious Beldi Hotel and Country Club
- Enjoy a relaxing dinner evening at this beautiful property, including a day at the spa known as a hammam
- Visit to Project Soar: our non-profit partner that empowers young teen girls. After an introduction to the mission of Project Soar, we will volunteer with a focus on supporting the teen’s ideas to care for their community in honor of Earth Day (such as tree planting and trash pick up).
- Lunch at Peacock Pavilions, beautiful hotel in the community owned by Kirsten’s friend Maryam Montague (also founder of Project Soar)
Nov 26-29: Atlas Mountains / Ourika Valley
- Stay in the beautiful Kasbah Bab Ourika with stunning views of the Atlas Mountains and some of Kirsten’s favorite interior design.
- Delicious meals sourced from the local organic garden
- Guided walking tour of Ourika Valley and local Berber village. Enjoy a cultural experience visiting a Berber home for tea. Picnic on the top of the mountain with gorgeous views after a long hike brought by Pepito, our favorite donkey in Morocco.
- Afternoon free to relax at the kasbah, enjoy the spa or visit local berber shops.
- Learn about the incredible work of the fair trade cooperative Anou that supports talented weavers and artisans throughout Morocco, giving them direct access to selling their one of a kind creations. Spend the morning with the artisans and practice the art of weaving.
- Guided discussions and reflections on slow living, fair trade, and responsible travel throughout your journey
- Departure for home on 13th after breakfast
- Deposit of $1875 due with registration.
- Remaining $1875 due on or before January 20, 2020.
- $100 discount for payment received in full at registration.
- Cost covers all meals, accommodations, taxes, in-country ground transportation, group tips, and excursions/events described on the itinerary.
- Cost includes donation to non-profit partner Project Soar.
- Cost does not include airfare, travel insurance (required), alcohol, or personal expenses.
- The Fernweh Studio will help coordinate flights and travel insurance through a trusted agent unless otherwise discussed.
- There are 9 spots maximum available for this excursion.
- Your spot is confirmed once your applicatioin is approved and deposit is received. Bookings are first come, first served.
- A detailed itinerary and preperation details will be provided once your registration is complete.
- Payment can be made via check or Venmo (@Fernweh-Studio)
Please note this is a sample itinerary and final plans will be made after registration is closed and payments are received. You will be notified if there are any updates or changes.
Please only register when you are ready to book your trip. If you have questions or need additional information before registering, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org