Location: Oaxaca City, Mexico
Dates: March 8th-13th
Length: 5 nights
Hosts: Kirsten Dickerson (founder of The Fernweh Studio) with her daughter Mei Li.
Casa Antonieta, a beautiful boutique hotel in the heart of old Oaxaca City.
Number of spots: 8 max (shared double occupancy)
Cost: $1950 per person (details below)
The Fernweh Studio promotes responsible tourism. The heart of this excursion is curated as a mother / daughter shared experience. The minimum age is 13 to participate in this Fernweh Studio Excursion.
The focus of this trip it to learn and experience the people, land, history, and culture of Oaxaca. We have a special focus on celebrating women artisans and women owned businesses. Oaxaca is one of the poorest regions in Mexico with a rich heritage, beautiful landscapes, and talented artisans. We travel as learners, we must have flexibility, and we go a desire to give back and celebrate the beauty of Oaxaca together. The Fernweh Studio promotes responsible tourism, and you are invited to have a meaningful, inspirational tour of Oaxaca that gives you an insider experience with the people and culture. We love curious, compassionate, and fun-loving travelers!
- Experience the renowned culinary scene through a variety of traditional and modern restuarants.
- Guided walking tour of the old Oaxaca City: Santa Domingo Church, Botanical Gardens, and key museums and historical sites.
- Visit to Monte Albán, the impressive pre-Columbian archaeological site and pre-eminent Zapotec centre for nearly a thousand years. A guided tour of the terraced site will provide a rich cultural and historical context to the enchanting State of Oaxaca with spectacular views of the Sierra Madre de Oaxaca mountain range.
- Spend the day with the En Via Foundation. Tour the Teotitlán del Valle (our non profit partner) and learn first-hand about the artisan traditional crafts of weaving, natural dying, and candlemaking.
- Enjoy shopping and exploring in your free time in Old Oaxaca.
- Experience the culture of Oaxaca: Oaxaca’s markets, chocolatiers, and streets are our classrooms as we shop, taste, and learn.
- Engage in an afternoon cooking class and dinner. Cooking class held at Hotel Con Corazon, an impact hotel that invests its profits into educational programs for at-risk youth. Prepare a traditional Oaxaca dish that represents one of the various regions of Oaxaca and then dine together to enjoy all the delicious food created!
- Enjoy the natural beauty of Oaxaca through a hike in the Sierra Norte Mountains. Learn about natural medicine plants and feast on a a delicious “forest to table” lunch in a beautiful, traditional kitchen.
- Deposit of $975 due with registration.
- Remaining $975 due on or before December 10th, 2020.
- $100 discount for payment received in full at registration.
- Cost covers all meals, accommodations, taxes, in-country ground transportation, group tips, and excursions/events described on the itinerary. Cost also includes a special donation to Fundación En Vía: a local, non-profit organization that works to empower women to better support themselves and their families through micro-finance loans
- Cost does not include airfare, travel insurance (required), alcohol, or personal expenses.
- The Fernweh Studio will help coordinate flights and travel insurance through a trusted agent unless otherwise discussed.
- There are 8 spots maximum available for this excursion.
- Your spot is confirmed once your applicatioin is approved and deposit is received. Bookings are first come, first served.
- A detailed itinerary and preperation details will be provided once your registration is complete.
- Payment can be made via check or Venmo (@Fernweh-Studio)
Please note this is a sample itinerary and final plans will be made after registration is closed and payments are received. You will be notified if there are any updates or changes.
Please only register when you are ready to book your trip. If you have questions or need additional information before registering, please contact: email@example.com