Crafts + Culinary + Culture
Dates: Feb 4 - 14
Length: 10 nights
Hosts: Kirsten Dickerson, co-founder of The Fernweh Studio.
Guest host in Siem Reap: Kate Davis, founder of Collective Humanity.
- 3 nights in a heritage property in Phnom Pehn: Pavilion Hotel
- 4 nights in a modern, eco-friendly boutique resort in Siem Reap: Treeline Urban Resort
- 3 nights on a private island: SixSenses Krabey Island
Number of spots: 9 max (shared double occupancy)
Cost: $4200 p/p (details below)
The Fernweh Studio promotes responsible tourism. The heart of this trip it to learn and experience the people, land, history, and culture of Cambodia. We have a special focus on celebrating artisans, supporting non-profits, and engaging with various social business efforts that empower people and conserve the land. Cambodia is a diverse country with both poverty and wealth. You will be exposed to both ends of the spectrum through our experiences, and your participation on the trip will be making a positive contribution in many ways. We travel as learners, we must have flexibility, and we go with a desire to give back and celebrate the beauty of Cambodia together.
Feb 4-7: Phnom Penh
We will begin our excursion to Cambodia with a stay at the charming Pavilion Hotel in the heart of old Phnom Penh near the Royal Palace. This heritage property, filled with timeless tranquility amount exuberant flora with several pools, is a lovely example or early 1920’s French-Khmer historic architecture. Pavilion is also dedicated to responsible tourism, cultural preservation, environmental conservation.
During our stay in the capital, we will dive into the the history and culture of Cambodia through experiences such as:
- Traditional Khmer dancing performance and music
- Visiting multiple slow fashion, fair trade businesses that empower women and youth
- Mekong River Cruise at Sunset
- Tasting a variety of Cambodia food offerings
- Learning to make Lotus Paper
- Visiting the Killing Fields with a guide to learn about the tragic past and the hear-felt desire of today’s youth to cope with this history
Feb 7-11: Siem Reap
We will take a short flight to northern Cambodia to the french influenced city of Siem Reap, home of the famed Angkor Wat.
During out time in this region of Cambodia, we will be co-hosted by the founder of Collective Humanity, a non-profit social business dedicated to employing women through the art of weaving.
We will stay at the beautiful Treeline Resort, a new modern hotel that is filled with art and artisan made textiles, furniture, and other decor. Masterfully crafted with leading Cambodian artists, the hotel has a curated experience that includes dedicated spaces for showcasing the work of local artists. The hotel is the perfect place for rest and reflect after a day of adventure in Siem Reap.
During our stay in Siem Reap, we will participate in a variety of experiences, such as:
- Day touring the archeological wonder of Angkor Wat and various ancient temples
- Day visiting the weaving community in partnership with Collective Humanity, learning about weaving and natural dying
- Special visit and craft time with our non-profit partner
- Cooking class to learn the secrets to making delicious Cambodian cuisine
- Kmer dance lessons
- Visits to various artisan workshops
Feb 11-14: Krabey Island
For the final portion of our Cambodia Adventure, we will journey to a private tropical island for an experience of wellness and beauty. We will be staying at a gorgeous resort committed to sustainability called Six Senses Krabey Island. This resort carries a significant commitment to the sustainability and environmental protection of the region. Aside from the organic farm which produces much of the resort’s produce, there is also an on-island bottling plant providing drinking water through reverse osmosis in re-useable glass bottles. This eco-resort takes a proactive approach within the local community by supporting the education of disadvantaged youth.
Your 3 night island experience will include:
- Water activities: kayaking, paddle boarding, swimming, snorkeling
- Wellness activities: relaxing, yoga, optional spa, private pool, fitness circuit
- Additional highlights: sky observatory, organic garden, outdoor cinema, beachfront, ocean boardwalk
- Join Kirsten for guided discussions and reflection on slow-living practices.
- Deposit of $2100 due with registration.
- Remaining $2100 due on or before November 1, 2019.
- $100 discount for payment received in full at registration.
- Cost covers all meals, accommodations, group tips, taxes, in-country ground transportation, in-country flight, and all excursions/events described on the itinerary.
- Cost also includes a special donation to our non-profit partner that supports and empowers women and children in Cambodia.
- Cost does not include airfare, travel insurance (required), visa on arrival, alcohol, or personal expenses.
- The Fernweh Studio will help coordinate flights and travel insurance through a trusted agent unless otherwise discussed.
- There are 9 spots maximum available for this excursion.
- Your spot is confirmed once your applicatioin is approved and deposit is received. Bookings are first come, first served.
- A detailed itinerary and preperation details will be provided once your registration is complete.
- Payment can be made via check or Venmo (@Fernweh-Studio)
Please note this is a sample itinerary and final plans will be made after registration is closed and payments are received. You will be notified if there are any updates or changes.
Please only register when you are ready to book your trip. If you have questions or need additional information before registering, please contact: email@example.com